Renovations are daunting projects in and of themselves. Think about it: completely revamping a pre-existing space to your liking is no picnic, no matter how dedicated you are. There is a lot that goes into the process, whether it be a bedroom, a kitchen, or a bathroom. In the case of the latter, the stakes are arguably much higher. Bathroom renovation in Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia is every bit as important as bathroom renovation in London, Ontario.
There are many things to consider and keep in mind along the way. Not the least of which is the overall design, as well as the costs of the project. With all the requirements, ideas, and decisions to be made, where does one start? And what must you remember?
Developing a plan and budget for a London, Ontario bathroom renovation
Out of all the phases in bathroom renovation, planning should be the most thorough. Along with deciding on the design, materials, décor, fixtures, and paint colours, setting a budget for money and time lays down the project’s groundwork.
Determining how much a new toilet, sink, and tub will cost is easy. When renovating a bathroom on a budget, the challenge is figuring out the amount of time you can spend on the project. Likewise, how much money you are able to spend on any services you hire.
A general contractor could do the whole renovation for you. However, if you are planning to do it all yourself, don’t overestimate your skill level. Moreover, don’t underestimate the amount of time each phase will take to complete. Additionally, you should take the following into consideration:
- Be aware of your limitations, as well as building codes. If you need advice, consult with someone proficient in – and can handle – the work.
- When designing your bathroom’s new layout, be sure to take accurate measurements. That way, the new vanity will fit and you will acquire the appropriate amount of tile.
- The plumbing costs might make relocation fixtures (ex. the toilet, bathroom faucets, or tub) impossible. However, replacing a tub with a shower that has tile and a glass door could create a new look.
- A professional could likely handle a specific task with faster results; maybe even better results. In doing so, while there will be an increase in the labour expense, it could lead to tremendous savings.
If you opt to go with a general contractor, you can find plenty for your bathroom renovation in London, Ontario.
Bathroom renovation materials
There are three materials to consider using for your new bathroom: natural stone, tiles, and wallpaper. Whether your bathroom renovation is in London, Ontario or elsewhere, choosing the right materials is essential.
- Natural stone: This is the most formal choice of the three and favourite for bathroom surfaces. Any natural stone can withstand a wet environment with the right sealant, so it ultimately depends on aesthetics and price.
- Tiles: Subway tiles are a classic, but you could also go for something more handmade and custom-fit like zellige. Due to their durability and reasonable prices, tiles are seen as a great alternative to pricier materials like natural stone. They are also just as stylish.
- Wallpaper: As strange as it may sound, you can use wallpaper in a bathroom. You just need to make sure that it’s out of splashing range. Additionally, you should install proper ventilation to avoid any moisture buildup.
Most bathrooms are small and/or dark and have mirrors, which in turn complicates the way light bounces around. Thought must go into lighting placement. Probably the easiest way to light a bathroom is with a single diffuse light in the ceiling’s center.
A bathroom that is already bright will benefit from a pair of wall sconces. For ceiling-inset downlights, install them with care and avoid putting them directly over light-coloured countertops because those will reflect the lights. Moreover, put them close to the wall over a vanity to increase light when looking in the mirror. For those who are meticulous when applying makeup, try vertical fluorescent light fixtures on both sides of the mirror.
Bathroom renovation services in London, Ontario
Because bathroom renovation is a process with many requirements, finding services to execute it shouldn’t be hard. As touched upon earlier, locations such as London, Ontario have a fair share of services to choose from. Anden Design & Build and Square D Construction Inc. are two notable examples.
A lot goes into a bathroom renovation, but the final product will be worth it. If you want a quote for your bathroom renovation, contact our Toronto construction location. Also, if you want to learn about kitchen renovation, check out The Ultimate Kitchen Renovation Checklist.